Tuesday 20 May 2014

Academic Nest Egg

A resident peacock inspects work on a big gold egg at the University of Western Australia

This egg, completed recently as one of several sculptural elements occupying a small courtyard at the University of Western Australia, clearly arouses the interest of birds as much as passing students and academics (very appropriate given the name of this blog!). It's a fixed concrete form overlaid with gold mosaic tiles, occupying a previously empty space beneath the large sun-dial mural completed last year; perfectly realised thanks to the meticulous handiwork of Iain Middleton and his team, working to interpret my notes and designs. You can find out a little more about both the sun dial and courtyard here, including more pictures and a short video profiling construction, or visit the University of Western Australia if you happen to be in Perth, and have a strong urge to eat your lunch while sitting on a big gold egg - and really, who doesn't?

6 comments:

  1. Hi, Shaun, I admire your humour and creativity!!! Please keep up your wonderful work. Long time ago, I met you at "Arrival" book launch in Sydney uni. Thank u for warm cheers that have encouraged me to keep on. Now, I work with Helen and to be published next April. Special thanks, Sadami

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats Sadami, you're in very good hands with Helen!

      Delete
  2. hi Shaun! really nice work and article !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, and always good to hear a kind comment from you.

      Delete
  3. GREATNESS!!! I only hope you would entertain the idea of illustrating one of my stories! Would be a dream come true!! Thanks for existing Shaun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately I not much of a book collaborator anymore due to a backlog of personal projects, which I'm very slow at getting around to doing. But I appreciate the vote of confidence!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.