Thursday 3 October 2013

Tales from Outer Suburbia: Spare Parts Puppet Theatre, Fremantle WA, September 28 to October 12


A lost deep sea diver with an undelivered gift - photo by Jessica Wyld courtesy of Spare Parts

Spare Parts is an established theatre in Fremantle, Western Australia, with whom I've had a long association having collaborated on the street theatre project Aquasapiens in 2005 and a more recent adaptation of The Arrival which was very successful. Tales from Outer Suburbia is another book adaptation, with the particular challenge of creating an flowing narrative based on my very fragmentary reflections on childhood in suburban Perth (and appropriate that the performance venue is not far from where I was born). Directed by Philip Mitchell, designed by Sohan Ariel Hayes and adapted by writer Michael Barlow, Tales from Outer Suburbia is presented as "a lively and imaginative mix of real-time animation, projection, miniature marionettes, gigantic rod puppets and playful performers; suitable for all ages, but perfect for ages 5 -12yrs"

For more information and bookings, visit Spare Parts, and you can also read reviews from ArtsHub, The West and The Australian.

5 comments:

  1. this will be really cool... too far from me .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! My name's Jessica and I'm a middle school teacher in New York. I am using your book, The Arrival for my first Social Studies unit and my students love it. Although I had to fight with my admin to get them to buy a class set of it, they now see how worth it it was and I just want to thank you for the amazing work you do. I wrote a blog post about the experience of using your book with English Language Learners (students who are learning English for the first time) if you're interested in reading about it:

    www.scribblesandsonnets.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jessica, that's great to hear and a nice post that other educators might find useful. I like that you had to convince your students too that a picture book was worthy of critical attention, I think that's a common problem: without teachers making the connection and unlocking books I don't think my early career would have gotten very far! So much appreciation for that. It's always surprising (though shouldn't be) how deeply kids understand images too, often more so than adults.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent drawing!We are delighted exercise of your visit us and we hope that the information presented here will leave you with a positive impression about our company and the wide range of services and products that we offer in the markets we serve. قطع غيار

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.